Public Safety Dive (PSD) team missions typically involves the search and recovery of the following items:
- Drowning victims
- Submerged crime or accident scene evidence
- Vessels / Vehicles submerged due to accidents or theft
Additionally, since the 9/11 attacks more PSD teams are being asked to perform Port Security missions such as:
- Hull inspections
- Seawall and Harbor inspections for Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs)
Sonar can significantly contribute to the safe and efficient accomplishment of these missions, particularly in waters with little to no visibility.
Recent years have seen a significant increase in the number of sonar manufactures and types of sonar systems available to PSD teams. When choosing a sonar, you must consider several factors:
- Budget constraints
- Your teams’ sonar experience level
- Training availability and commitment
- Team resources
- The environment you intend to operate in
The choices can be daunting and have a direct impact on a teams’ ability to accomplish their assigned mission. However, they generally fall into one of the following categories:
Click on the above links to learn basic concepts on the use and operation of these systems.